[Hampshire] [OT] Solaris HCL

Author: Rob Malpass
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] Solaris HCL
Hi all

I've never bothered much with Hardware Compatibility Lists before - but it
looks as though I may have just fallen foul of one. Can anyone help
explain?

I have a bog standard box on which I test various OS (I know I could use vm
but I've never found mouse movement as smooth for example and vm on top of
my visually impaired software is a bit of a pickle for any PC - but I
digress). I have had Slackware 13 running on this box since Christmas and
have just tried to install Solaris 10. During the install, I'm getting
hundreds of messages which seem to relate to /dev/sd0 which I'm assuming is
my hard drive (the machine only has one hdd and one DVD drive). The md5
checksum worked and I've had the same disk working fine on a vm (as
passthrough) and on another PC.

Googling around seems to suggest it's a problem and that my HDD (whose spec
I'd have to open up the box to determine exactly) is not on the Solaris HCL.
What I don't understand is why this would be. It's a bog standard 0.5Tb
drive bought from Novatech for about 50 quid last year. While it's not
brilliant, it runs Slack fine and I've no reason to suspect it wouldn't run
Ubuntu or anything else.

Is there anything else I should be checking for besides HCL for the drive.
I'd be more prepared to believe it was the mobo that's not in the HCL but
I've never fallen foul of these HCL before - anyone know if Solaris is
particularly choosy on which hardware it runs (choosier than other OS for
example)?

Cheers

Rob