Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Strange Shell Prompt.

Author: Mike Burrows
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Strange Shell Prompt.
On 7/5/11 9:42 AM, Benjie Gillam wrote:
> My guess is that his iPad used your IP address beforehand and
> requested 'johnrs-ipad' be it's hostname during the DHCP request a
> while back. When your MacBook did a DHCP request, the server recycled
> the old iPad record without properly cleaning it first.
>
> Benjie.
>
> On 5 July 2011 15:28, Mike Burrows <testermike@???
> <mailto:testermike@knology.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hello folks.
>     I am connecting to the LAN at work from my macbook. When I open a
>     terminal i get this message:

>     Last login: Tue Jul  5 09:19:23 on ttys000
>     johnrs-ipad:~ testermike$

>     We do have a John R at work and he does have an ipad. However I
>     can't understand why its reporting my macbook as his ipad.

Yes that makes sense. What has peeked my interest is that clients, can
connect to a 'network drive' for the PCs or 'server' for the macs but it
takes a while before the connections are established. Then if you
navigate away from the share and then go back to it, say in windows
explorer, it takes even longer to establish the connection again and
sometimes wont at all.

could it be that this dns oddity is causing the domain controller to
lose track of its clients?

Cheers
Mike