Re: [Hampshire] confused ssh newbie

Author: Benjie Gillam
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] confused ssh newbie
Can you ssh -p 2222 from another computer/device on your LAN? (You may need
to use your internal IP address to do so.) If so then you at least know SSH
is working. If not, then I'd use netcat.

2222 is an unprivileged port (>1024) so if you shut down sshd you should be
able to run

nc -v -l -p 2222

on the server. Then from another computer/device run

nc -v [your ip] 2222

Anything you type into one should show up on the other after pressing return
(netcat is line buffered). If it doesn't then the debugging info netcat
outputs may be useful in diagnosing your issue.

What is the output of the following command with sshd running?

sudo netstat -pant

Kind regards,

Benjie.