Re: [Hampshire] confused ssh newbie

Author: Mike Burrows
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] confused ssh newbie

>> However, when i change the port to 2222 (changing the router of course)
>> and repeat using
>>
>> ssh -p 2222 testermike@???
>>
>> I get an error that the connection was reset by peer and I cannot ssh in.
>>
>> What am I not doing please?
> If you haven't solved it yet, try running the ssh client with -v. If
> that doesn't help, try running the sshd in the foreground with -d.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

No not solved yet. What is confusing me is I can log in perfectly well
using port 22 but when I do the following:

- change the port to listen on in sshd_config to some other random port
number ;-)
- open port forwarding in the router for that port, to the server
running the ssh daemon
- use the shell script mentioned before i get this error:

nodename nor servname provided, or not known

what else needs changing to allow the use of a non-standard port?

TIA
Mike