Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Networking course

Author: Peter Andrijeczko
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Networking course
I've been working as a techie in the telecoms industry for almost 30 years
now & I made the transition from PBX voice telecoms to Voice Over IP about
10 years ago.

If you're fairly new to the who IP networking & telecoms arena, my advice to
you is to sort out the IP networking side of it first - so get an
understanding of IP addressing, subnetting, router concepts, the IP stack
and how applications (SSH, HTTP, etc.) sit on top of it.

When you've got that under your belt, it will serve as a good grounding for
the telecoms side of things because then you can move into QoS, VoIP, SIP,
Session Border Controllers and all that kind of good stuff.

If you're doing this for career improvement reasons then *DEFINITELY* get
yourself learning about SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) because that's the
new "big thing" hitting telecoms at the moment. If you don't know what SIP
is then it's basically the protocol that allows you register "presence" on
the Internet, so you can tell a registration server what availability mode
you are in and what protocols you can communicate with (voice, IM, video,
etc.)

I'm afraid I can't recommend any distant learning stuff because I've never
done any - I did Linux and Windows training with Learning Tree in London
many years ago and somewhat surprisingly, the Windows Internetworking course
I did was probably one of the best courses I've ever done and I came out
with a good basic understanding of TCP/IP.

But if you need any more advice from a telecoms industry insider, then
please give me a shout.

Regards

Peter Andrijeczko