Re: [Hampshire] [OT} weird web behaviour

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT} weird web behaviour

> However... a select few websites will not load unless
> DHCP is enabled (for the LAN) on the router just downstream of the cable
> modem (I'm in the US) and the mac book uses DHCP to obtain its IP address.

I've seen something similar in the past. Some routers simply don't NAT
packets for addresses they haven't handed out via DHCP. I guess it's some
sort of half-arsed attempt at security by the router manufacturer, but
I've yet to see such behaviour fix more problems than it creates...

The only way to know for certain would be to capture packets as far
upstream as you can (i.e. between the router & cable modem) & check the
traffic. You'll probably need a hub to get the connection there - but if
you only have a switch, you can run an ARP-spoofing attack against it to
get hold of the necessary traffic. I use "forgate" for this.

HTH

Vic.