Re: [Hampshire] Asus EeePad Transformer

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Asus EeePad Transformer
On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 09:46:03 +0100
Samuel Penn <sam@???> wrote:

> Chris Dennis <cgdennis@???> wrote:
> > I'm still undecided whether or not to get a small 'proper' laptop
> > or one of these shiny new toys... err, I mean indispensable
> > business tools.
>
> The obvious answer is to get both! :-)

It really worries me when I see TV progs with these fancy interfaces
on computer thingies that allow some character to slide a finger across
screen and things move around or as in a program about Egyptian
archaeology which showed satellite images that could be zoomed into by
(it looked like) pinching the screen.

That ain't computing as I know it ;-(
and I don't think I can cope with computers that do that sort of thing.

I know that some of the stuff they do on progs like NCIS is trickery
and they can't really hack into someone's mobile phone and follow
the user around in seconds (at least I really hope they can't - not
that I'm worried about my own phone as it is only switched on when I
actually want to phone someone)

Takes me back to the days when Andy R used to rib me for being old
fashioned 'cos I didn't have a mobile phone.

OK! I got past that degree of fuddy-duddyism and even have a Asus EeePC
900, but when I got that I immediately got rid of the 'simplified'
interface it came with and put a proper OS on it (DebianEeePC of
course) But I still don't blog, twitter, use social networking or
store data in the 'cloud'. Mainly because I don't trust the providers,
not even google, to provide a secure system.

I really don't like what they are doing to gnome with version 3 'cos it
doesn't look like I'll be able to set it up to look like I'm used to -
plus my graphics card may not be good enough anyway. Next time I need
to reboot it I will try out the live gnome3 CD I downloaded some seeks
back. Then I'll find out if the built-in graphics _is_ powerful
enough!

I had a look at the Asus Transformer, on paper at least, when it was
announced and thought it a bit gimmicky - not one thing or tother. But
then I don't really know what a 'fondleslab' really is like, I've not
even seen an actual bit of kit in the flesh so to speak (and what a
ghastly name they seem to have acquired).

</rant>
--
John Lewis
using Debian sid