Re: [Hampshire] btrfs (was: Re: Home NAS with Raid?)

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] btrfs (was: Re: Home NAS with Raid?)

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58316100.hantslug.org.uk.22236': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Feb 15 20:46:33 2011 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 08:40:25PM +0000, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> Hugo, excellent summary, thanks. Are there any plans to make any of those
> features work across multiple nodes? (I doubt it, but hey, might as well
> ask).

As in across distinct computers attached to a network? No. btrfs is
not intended ever to run over multiple machines (much like ext2/3/4,
reiserfs, XFS, ...)

However, there's no reason you couldn't use, say, NBD or DRBD as
underlying block devices for a btrfs filesystem, if that fits your
needs. Alternatively, there's a project called ceph, which runs as a
distributed filesystem on top of multiple networked machines, and
prefers to use btrfs as the storage on each node. I've not tried ceph,
because I just don't have enough machines to make it worthwhile...

Hugo.

           --- All hope abandon,  Ye who press Enter here. ---