Re: [Hampshire] rsync help needed

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] rsync help needed
On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 18:49:19 +0000
James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton@???> wrote:

<snipped>
> rsync is good so I think the problem is elsewhere.

I think I am getting somewhere with the syntax of the rsync command
line, I am trying the following

-vv    verbose
-g    preserve group
-W    send whole files
--exclude-from=$EXCLUDES

the last is one I'm not sure of, does the 'exludes' apply at both ends?
I have created an 'excludes' file listing certain files in the local
database which I don't want copied to the remote database, but I don't
want to delete any files with same names in the remote database.

or should I use?
--n--delete

> Some ideas to help diagnose the problem.
> One easy way to test if rsync is doing the job is to do
> sha256sum -b * >sha256sum.txt
>
> This should create a file containing all the checksums of the files in
> the current directory.

Presumably the checksum calculated by 'sha256sum -b * sha256sum.txt'
will only be valid so long as the original files have not been amended,
so only of value one time