Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Writing an Audio CD >64 minutes : possi…

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Writing an Audio CD >64 minutes : possible?
On Saturday 29 January 2011 15:37:33 Victor Churchill wrote:
> Hi,
> I have got a 90 minute drama from the BBC via get_iplayer. It downloaded as
> a .flv file which I have converted to .mp3 using
> Braser still says it represents 90 minutes and the CD ain't big enough.
>
> Short of using Audacity to split the file into two sections, is there a way
> I can make an older-player-friendly audio CD of this programme? Or am I
> trying to get a quart into a pint pot ?

In short, no. The "Audio-CD" format (often called CDDA) is a stereo 44kHz 16-
bit format, with no compression etc. Essentially, this makes it extremely easy
to read, as each 16bit value represents one sample of one channel.

The more "advanced" CD players can have an mp3/4 decoder, which you have
already seen. Your best course of action is to split it across multiple CDs.
Or, if you have an "Aux" socket (or a tape) on the car radio you could
consider investing in a cheap mp3/4 player, which would save this problem in
future.

Cheers,

Tim B.

--
OpenPilot - Open-source Marine Chart Plotter
Lead Developer