Re: [Hampshire] ext4 strangeness

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ext4 strangeness

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57d08100.hantslug.org.uk.28250': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Jan 13 15:30:13 2011 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 03:23:30PM +0000, Chris Dennis wrote:
> Hello folks
>
> I've come across a problem on a friend's computer.
>
> The computer is fairly old (see below), running Ubuntu 10.10, with /
> on a 40GB IDE drive, and /home on a 120GB Maxtor SATA drive.
>
> It's /home that's the problem. It's on a single partition
> /dev/sda1, formatted as ext4. I've run the Maxtor diagnostics on
> the drive, and no problems were reported.
>
> Ubuntu wants to check the filing system on every boot. Running
> 'fsck -f' manually (from Knoppix 6.2) gives:
>
> Block bitmap differences: <some number ranges, different each time>
>
> Sometimes it also offers to fix:
>
> Free blocks count wrong for group #<numbers that change each time>
>
> I choose to fix those problems, but they're still there next time.
>
> I've also run 'fsck -fc /dev/sda1' -- it didn't report any bad
> blocks, and the other were still there.

This smacks to me of a disk that's constantly remapping duff
sectors into spares, and finding more duff sectors. Replace the
hardware ASAP.

[...]
> ran fsck again, and the errors have returned!
>
> Why would copying data into a filing system cause errors like that?

Bad hardware.

Hugo.

     --- Gomez, darling, don't torture yourself.  That's my job. ---