Re: [Hampshire] [sort-of-OT] Advice for (geeky) broadband pr…

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [sort-of-OT] Advice for (geeky) broadband provider
Hi,

On 12/01/11 23:15, Lisi wrote:

> So what would you have me call them to distinguish between whatever goes over
> LLU and what one can get on BT lines in a non-updated exchange? (I.e. one
> with a maximum ADSL speed of up to 8MB.) The speeds are completely
> different.

There are two issues here. The first is the particular ADSL technology.
There are 2 flavours of ADSL in the UK: The original ADSL2 (up to 8Mb)
and ADSL2+ (up to 24Mb).

Now, as part of the LLU (Local Loop Unbundling) process, companies like
BE and Sky can rent space in a BT unbundled exchange for their own gear
to provide service to customers. An ISP has a choice on a per-exchange
basis of whether they want to have their own exchange gear and unbundle,
use BT services to distribute their product or not be present. This is
why you don't see the same number of ISPs in every LLU exchange.

An exchange can be unbundled without having BT ADSL2+ which comes as
part of BT's WBC upgrade. To my knowledge, all LLU providers are ADSL2+
so it's possible for exchanges to exist where the exchange is unbundled
but hasn't been upgraded to WBC yet which might mean that BE are there
offering 24Mb but you can also choose any BT-delivered ISP but only at 8Mb.

So... I'd refer to BE as "LLU ADSL" or "Unbundled ADSL".

Cheers,
Paul.