Re: [Hampshire] Mapping software

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Mapping software
On 6 January 2011 18:19, Rob Malpass <linux@???> wrote:
> Hi all - happy new year
>

> I need a recommendation for some mapping software.   If - having read the
> following you conclude there's a website - that's fine - but I've not been
> able to make Google maps do exactly what I want.

What you want is Mapnik! I have been playing with this myself
recently, and it is really powerful. Unfortunately, it is a little bit
of a pain to set-up. First you need a Postgresql database, then you
need to add PostGIS extensions to it. Then you can download data from
OpenStreetmap and other places, and populate the database with it. If
you want to create your own data as well, the a program such a
QuantumGIS can display the data from the database and allow you to
create overlays. QuantunGIS will also allow you to print the maps, but
if you want really nice looking renderings, then you can use Mapnik.

I know it sounds a bit long winded, but the results are great. Mapnik
can be driven from Python, so automating map generation is easy.

I would recommend that you go to Openstreetmap.org and see if you can
find the Mapnik install guide.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapnik

Any questions, then give us a shout. Also, the Mapnik mailing list is
very helpful.

--
Philip Stubbs