Re: [Hampshire] ATX PSU in rack case

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ATX PSU in rack case
> On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 13:14:04 +0000, "Jacqui Caren-home"
> <jacqui.caren@???> said:
> > On 05/12/2010 01:07, Paul Tansom wrote:
> > > Has anyone experimented with fitting a standard ATX PSU in a rack case? I know
> > > there are some cases, mainly 4U ones, that specifically do this, but I have
> > > some 2U cases already and it doesn't seem to make sense to buy new ones and try
> > > to sell these.

<snip>
> The topology of PC power supplies has not changed appreciably in the
> past 15 years or so. The major difference came with ATX with the
> addition of a 3.3V rail and a low-current 5V 'standby' rail (effectively
> a completely separate power supply in the same case). I would be quite
> surprised if an ATX supply made recently was appreciably more efficient
> than something a few years old.
>
> I would recommend sticking with the PSU that was designed to fit the
> case if you possibly can. If the connector is non-standard (e.g. Dell
> servers), it can be replaced or rewired easily enough and if the 4 pin
> 12V auxiliary motherboard connector is missing but required, adapters
> can be found which convert a spare disc drive plug to the correct
> layout. Noisy fans are usually replaceable too. If you don't have the
> 3.3V rail however it would probably not be practical.

** end quote [Neil Stainton]

These PSUs are about 9 years old by the dates on them, and, although not an
immediate problem, they don't support SATA (connectors wise), so that would
need addressing at some point. They are also much noisier than the newer units
I have, which seem to be more efficient with PFC (and other improvements) and
run somewhat cooler. I need to do some tests, and may stick with the existing
units for now, but like the idea of using the newer units if possible - if
nothing else the others have been running 24x7 for about 8 years (I assume,
these used to have dual Athlon MP motherboards in as part of a Linux cluster),
so I have no idea what remaining life they may have, or what they may do to the
other kit if / when they fail.

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: