[Hampshire] ATX PSU in rack case

Author: Paul Tansom
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] ATX PSU in rack case
Has anyone experimented with fitting a standard ATX PSU in a rack case? I know
there are some cases, mainly 4U ones, that specifically do this, but I have
some 2U cases already and it doesn't seem to make sense to buy new ones and try
to sell these.

They already have the narrow rack PSU format installed, but these are old and
likely less power efficient than my much more recent ATX ones. I have plenty of
space available as the motherboards being fitted are mini-itx (iirc) format
ones with Intel Atom 330 processors on board. At the moment I'm expecting to
have to sit them behind the motherboard on the opposite side to the original
PSU and my main concern is making them secure. I've seen some 2U cases with the
PSU at the front, but this space is already taken up by the built in drive
caddies (PATA ones, so if I upgrade to SATA at some point I'll have to remove
the connectors behind them, although this should be an issue as there is little
problem pulling a SATA drive out and disconnecting the cables which is easier
than messing with PATA connectors and ribbon cables).

I'm not really into sorting out a custom piece of metal to fit in, so wondered
if anyone else had done something like this. Not sure whether I'm being cheap
or environmentally friendly, but it does seem a waste to scrap these and
purchase, likely less robust replacements (these are heafty units to say the
least, and very long), when they are for my own use and I'm quite happy to
adapt.

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: