Re: [Hampshire] Live streaming

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: testermike, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Live streaming
Mike Burrows wrote:
> Hello Folks.
>
> Has anybody out there any experience on streaming live audio using
> shoutcast. I can stream an mp3 file from my linux box using shoutcast
> but I am at a dead end on how to convert and stream a live feed. Kinda
> like the beeb for example.

Hi Mike,

We use icecast for streaming the live recordings of the Ubuntu Podcast
from the UK LoCo [1]. The output of the mixer is connected to the input of
the sound card on the computer, which in turn feeds it into the icecast
client which converts it to MP3 and sends it to the icecast server.

You could simply connect a microphone to the input of your sound card and
stream using that as your audio source.

Thanks,

Tony

[1] http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org