Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Wireless Access Point

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Wireless Access Point
On 07/11/10 10:40, Paul Stimpson wrote:
> Alternatively you could ask the University to fix the problem for you. I believe that under the disability act they are required to make reasonable adaptations to accommodate your son's disability.

He's done very nicely out of the Disabled Student's Allowance, with a
new laptop, mouse, keyboard, monitor plus Windows 7 and MS Office
bells-and-whistles edition, all warranteed and insured for the next
three years. They have also provided a mobility scooter and various
other allowances to compensate for the difficulties he has in getting
around on his sticks while carrying stuff.

> The only problem I can see is that if you ask for wifi and they tell you it's banned you can't claim you didn't know it wasn't allowed if you go DIY.
>
> Before you do anything I would have a look at the rules to see if it is naughty, see if anyone else is doing it and take precautions like turning off the SSID broadcast on the AP and using dd-wrt's "MAC address clone" function to clone the MAC address of the wired Ethernet port on your son's laptop in case they scan the network looking for unauthorised APs.

Good point, although I can't see they'd enforce a ban wireless
connectivity under these specific circumstances, i.e. a locked down
connection between a single machine and wireless access point. I
generally use WPA + mac address filtering and disabled SSID broadcast,
which I know isn't a guarantee of security but should keep out all but
the most determined intruder. As for checking the rules I think I'll
suck it and see, and if anyone does start walking the halls with a
scanner and subsequently complains, I'll pick it up from there.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk