Re: [Hampshire] Server swappiness

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Server swappiness

> Can any explain, or have pointers to documentation, which give examples of
> what sort of behaviour to expect for different values?

I don't have any real detail, but I did play with this a bit when I was
getting some slow laptops to work.

I set the swappiness to 20, and it makes a world of difference to the
responsiveness of the system. Older laptops are especially susceptible to
over-aggressive swapping because the disk I/O is often so slow...

20 is now my standard setup for anything where I expect disk latency to be
an issue. I've been very pleased with the results, but I have no idea if
they're optimal.

Vic.