Re: [Hampshire] Linux Foundation and Linux Certification Pr…

Author: Samuel Penn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux Foundation and Linux Certification Programs
On Thursday 28 October 2010 22:29:59 Lisi wrote:
> On Thursday 28 October 2010 17:57:35 Keith Edmunds wrote:
> > gender neutral
> > third person singular possessive pronoun. Maybe I should have said,
> > "that no one in its right mind would want to work for..."
>
> I still maintain that the common gender in the case of humanity is
> the same as the masculine.

Some would disagree. My experience with discussion on the subject
tends to be around gaming, a hobby which is stereotypically male
but trying to attract more women. Exclusive use of the masculine
doesn't help break the stereotype (and the artwork doesn't help
either).

> think that in 50 to a hundred years "their" will have become
> singular just as "you" has, but I don't think we are there yet.

Lots of people use 'their' as singular gender neutral (including
myself) already. It may not be technically correct, but we're
working to make it so.

--
Be seeing you,                         http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.                        Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@???