Re: [Hampshire] Graphics Card Fan Noise

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Graphics Card Fan Noise

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5856a100.hantslug.org.uk.13923': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Oct 20 19:04:12 2010 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 06:49:49PM +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Can anyone help with solving the following "phenomenon"? At boot, my main
> machine developed a low tone groaning noise - the sort that signals the fan
> is gunked up. After being on for about a minute - the noise goes away. I
> brushed it clean on Monday. On reboot - silence - all seemed well.
>
> Now curiously the groaning noise is back! However rather curiously the
> noise doesn't start a couple of seconds after boot as it did before - it now
> happens about 15-20 seconds after boot - then it goes silent again after
> about a minute.
>
> So I'm pretty sure the graphics card fan is the culprit (running the machine
> with no graphics card it was silent from power up to power down), but it was
> brushed clean so it can't have gunked up again in 2 days - or can it? And if
> it has (there are no holes in the case - no open card slots etc) I'm not too
> sure how I could prevent it gunking up again.

I believe it's not "gunking up", it's the bearings failing. As the
bearings wear, the fan can wobble on its axis. At certain speeds, the
fan will have a vibration mode where it wobbles on its axis (like a
coin spun on its edge just coming to rest). I think that's what your
noise is.

> Anyone experienced this? Any known workarounds?

Replace the fan.

Hugo.