Re: [Hampshire] Open office and MS Fonts

Author: Webb D.J.
To: hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Open office and MS Fonts
It is just possible that this is a problem with OpenOffice pecision. A
couple of years back I found that when I imported one of my eps figures into
OO the data line extended beyond the edge of the plotting region. It turned
out that this was because OO was only using 16-bit (I think) integer
arithmetic. The data line was specified as a series of short vector
increments and by the time the end of the line was reached the rounding
errors were enough to be seen.

I contacted OO and was told is was a problem left over from Staroffice.
They planned to go to higher resolution in the future but at that time it
was not a priority.

In my case I solved the problem by exporting actual coordinate positions
instead of increments. However with text you just have the font widths,
which act like increments, so if Word and OO are using different accuracy
arithmetic, the line lengths will never match.

So - for the present problem a search for a similar but (on average)
slightly narrower font is probably the best bet.

Regards,

David Webb.