Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Man jailed over computer password refus…

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: sam, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Man jailed over computer password refusal
On 05/10/10 19:05, Samuel Penn wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 October 2010 18:58:59 Chris Dennis wrote:
>> Hmmm, is this a problem?
>>
>>    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11479831

>> Where does the right to privacy meet the need to investigate
>> (alleged) crimes?
>>
>> If a man is innocent until proven guilty, should he be convicted for
>> an act that may or may not be hiding evidence of wrong-doing?
> He was guilty - of not handing over the password, which is a
> crime under RIPA. This made the news some years back when it
> was introduced, since in theory you can be jailed for forgetting
> a password (or simply not having it - what if the police are
> convinced that you're using steganography when you're not?).

Interesting point: what if I hand over the password and it doesn't work:
oh dear, I must have forgotten it officer! Is it therefore technically
illegal to password protect a system and not keep a copy of the password
/somewhere/ in case the law require me to reveal it at some point?

Also, what if someone gains physical access to my machine, replaces my
hard drive with an encrypted drive and then falsely accuses me of 'very
bad stuff'? That would put me between a rock and a very hard place the
way I see it.

Finally, where does this leave the right to remain silent?

Interesting stuff, not made any easier to debate when you toss in the
paedo/terrorist factor.

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk