Re: [Hampshire] Network Attached Server/Domain Controller.

Author: Jan Henkins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Network Attached Server/Domain Controller.
Hello Mike,

On 22/09/10 09:36, Chris Aitken wrote:

>         keeping off the raid plan atm. Have a more basic
>         problem.although I can ping the server I cannot log onto the
>         share. it is on the same subnet as the aforementioned home
>         file server and using a very similar smb.conf file yet I
>         cannot map to it. short of posting my .conf file can anybody
>         think what might be wrong please?

> Have you added the user to the box, and to the smb share
> (useradd/adduser and smbpasswd)?

I think that Chris has the correct idea here. Look at your smb.conf
global area. If your security mode is "user" (security = user), then you
will have to add a user. Firstly, make user you have a Linux user on the
system. After that, add them with "smbpasswd -a username", which will
prompt you for the password as well. Once you have done this, every user
on the Linux machine should have access to their own /home/username
directory for file space.

If this doesn't work, there are still a number of things to look at.
Please don't be disheartened if you still have problems, controlling
Samba via editing it's configuration file isn't all that easy, because
Samba has a huge number of configuration options. It was suggested that
you install Webmin, since it has a good Samba configuration frontend. As
an alternative, I would suggest that you try out SWAT as well. If you
are using Debian/Ubuntu, a simple "apt-get install swat" should do the
trick. After that, point your browser to the machine on port 901,
authenticate, and start playing around with Samba's configuration.
Incidentally, SWAT is Samba's own web-based tool.

--

Regards,
Jan Henkins