Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu startup

Author: Leo
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu startup
On 13/09/10 22:40, Jan Henkins wrote:
> Hello Leo,
>
> On Mon, September 13, 2010 22:35, Leo wrote:
>> Does anybody know how to get ubuntu to show useful info when booting?
>
> By pressing the Esc key when you see the first splash screen, it should
> take you to the text-based bootup area where you can see everything
> happening. It might not show you absolutely everything.
>
>> The reason I ask is that it keeps hanging when mounting disks every few
>> boots, but for all I know it could just be fscking them. Or failing,
>> that is it possible to get it to keep old /var/log/boot files?
>
> Not sure about this, because it is unknown in which part of the boot cycle
> your machine falls over.

I've tried the Esc key and it takes me to the terminal but all it says
is for each disk:
disk-label: clean, x/y files, a/b blocks

and it occasionally says that a certain disk will be checked in 3 mounts
time or that a check has been forced. However, when it says a check has
been forced it doesn't actually give an indication of whether it's
actually checking the disk. It used to give a textual status bar so you
could at least tell where it had got to.

Leo