Re: [Hampshire] Laptop BIOS settings

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Laptop BIOS settings
On 24/08/10 22:05, Leo wrote:
> I've just got a new laptop and in the bios there is an option to
> select what OS is installed with three options:
> Other
> WinXP
> Vista / Win7
>
> Does anyone know what difference this makes, and is Other the best to
> choose for Linux?

Hi Leo,

I can't answer the the question as to why this is present, but I suspect
that there will be something that explains the reason for this on the
laptop manufacturer's Web site or in the manual. I am guessing that the
laptop's hardware resources are configured differently for each of these
options at boot up, presumably to make better use of them and/or
enable/disable some functionality for certain options. What make and
model of laptop are we discussing?

One consideration might be as to whether or not you intend to retain the
existing OS (assuming there is one) in a dual-boot setup.

Sean