Re: [Hampshire] HP servers and Debian

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] HP servers and Debian
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:17:10 +0100 (+0100), Hugo Mills wrote:
[snip]
>    If that's the case, then you're *far* better off ditching the
> "Onboard RAID" and using Linux's software RAID implementation, which
> is rather better tested.

Yes, I can second that from personal experience. Namely when it
breaks badly and you end up doing really _evil_ things to get it
working again (not least since at the time Linux couldn't rebuild a
broken "BIOS raid" array). Background reading for the interested:

http://www.smop.co.uk/blog/index.php/2007/04/01/fakeraid-avoid/

Adrian
--
bitcube.co.uk - Expert Linux infrastructure consultancy
Puppet, Debian, Red Hat, Ubuntu, CentOS