[Hampshire] [OT] Nokia N900 as a tethered modem using the US…

Author: Ian Park
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] Nokia N900 as a tethered modem using the USB cable
I bought a Nokia N900 a few months ago after seeing the views of various
people on this list when I asked about smart phones with keyboards. I'll
be going away to (very) foreign parts next month, and I'd like to use
the N900 as a modem tethered to my netbook via the USB cable (before you
ask, I find the keyboard and screen of the N900 too small for more than
occasional use, notwithstanding the fact that it has email client, web
browser, ...).

I've tried following the "Howtos" to get it working with Ubuntu 10.04 -
these indicate that I simply need to connect the phone to the netbook by
the USB cable, and it should be plain sailing from there. However,
although the output of lsusb indicates that the phone is recognised as a
USB device, in both "mass storage" and "PC suite" modes, and Ubuntu
offers to play audio files and display photos in "mass storage" mode,
the modem isn't recognised in "PC suite" mode. Is there something
fundamental that I'm overlooking, or is it a hardware problem in the
phone (in which case I'll be back to the Nokia shop...)? If anyone has
been down this road and can offer suggestions, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

Ian
--
Ian Park