Re: [Hampshire] BBC and Open standards

Author: pavithran
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] BBC and Open standards
On 14 August 2010 18:11, Tim <xendistar@???> wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2010/08/html5_open_standards_and_the_b.html

Open standards have always been part of the BBC's DNA. They are
fundamental to driving market innovation and will always be important
to the BBC's mission to introduce the benefits of new technology to
society.
End Quote

DNA lol What kind of PR article is that ? How can even BBC dare talk
of open standards when its completely sunk in DRM !

I don't pay any tax/license or anything to the BBC now that I have
left southampton completely but I don't understand the license paying
FOSS people they have simply let BBC drift in its own closed way of
doing things.

One positive step many would appreciate it being less evil is moving
from real player to flash based video / sometimes audio which is
protected via borders . You can't watch Iplayer in france :)

The reason why BBC went to flash in my opinion is because it had no
other choice thanks to people happily embedding youtube and other
media publishers using their own flash based video players . It had no
other choice but to go the flash way . I don't think it is due to
love of open standards .

Will there be a day when I can watch BBC videos/listen audio atleast
in UK on a Ogg based HTML5 site or if thay are so concerned about high
wuality video what about the free Vp8 codec ?

@BBC the day you come out open clearly that day the community will
respect you .

Regards,
Pavithran