Re: [Hampshire] Home 3g Broadband

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Home 3g Broadband

> I'll second the Draytek range; excellent routers.

Mostly. They have an interesting DHCP bug[1], and they tend to break SIP
packets if you don't disable all the "helpful" stuff.

> Two adsl links would indeed provide little resilient, even with
> different ISPs.

Indeed. Multiple lines tend to be physically very close; one backhoe can
take out quite a few :-(

Vic.

[1] If the router gets its WAN IP address by DHCP, it receives a set of
DNS servers with that DHCP grant. If the router is also acting as the DHCP
server for the LAN, and you want different DNS servers than the ones your
ISP gives you, things get interesting: if the router cannot see the DNS
servers you've set up for the LAN, it ignores your settings and passes out
the servers it got from the ISP. This can lead to some very subtle
problems...