[Hampshire] Home 3g Broadband

Author: Rob Malpass
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: [Hampshire] Home 3g Broadband
Hi all

[Slightly OT – but whenever I try and google this I just get sent to Mobile
ISPs’ websites]

We’re going to be moving shortly and are highly dependent on the internet.
So much so in fact that we have both ADSL and cable – one acting as a backup
for the other. Costly I know but for reasons I won’t bore you with – we
need certainty in our connection – or rather having a connection.

The place we move to might well not have cable. As such, ADSL seems our
“only” option. This got me thinking about mobile broadband... Suppose I
took up a mobile contract that included 3g web access and stuck that sim
card into a 3g router. That would then (admittedly at reduced bandwidth)
do the trick wouldn’t it? I’ve seen this for £80 on Amazon.

Are there any other considerations (beyond the presumably extortionate
tariff I’d need to be on – I currently have 2Gb which is not much for
desktop but would be considered huge for “mobile”.

Is there another option? I know I could have 2 BT lines into the new house
but if there was a BT fault both lines would go down (wouldn’t they?)

Cheers
Rob