Re: [Hampshire] Idiots Guide to Andriod Development?

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Idiots Guide to Andriod Development?

Thanks for all the suggestions and links.

I'll check out the links people suggested, but I'm afraid I'm probably
going to ignore the advise about learning Java first...

On Tue, 10 Aug 2010, Samuel Penn wrote:

> In which case, how about learning Java first?

I have no real reason to learn Java (aside from Android development) and I
find that to motivate me to learn something new I need a project I want to
complete.

Android aside I don't have any projects I want to use Java for personally
and we don't use it at work so really the chances of me spending any
significant time learning to develop Java apps on a PC is low.

> Grab Eclipse (the Android SDK plugs into the Eclipse IDE,

I already have some familiarity with Eclipse, I've used it for PHP
development in the past.

> FWIW, I've just got my first Android phone (Dell Streak), and I'm about
> to start down the same path. However, I do already know Java.

What do you think of the Streak?

I'd like an Android tablet (ideally in the 5"-7" screen range) and I
looked at the Streak when it was first released, but I was put off by
Android 1.6.

There are supposed to be lots of Android tablets released this year, so I
figured I'd wait and see what else becomes available, though if nothing
much else has been launched by the time the Streak gets 2.2 I might
reconsider.

Andy