[Hampshire] Fwd: Apress August 2010 Newsletter

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Fwd: Apress August 2010 Newsletter
Apress Newsletter.

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

Subject: Apress August 2010 Newsletter
Date: Wednesday 04 Aug 2010, 17:26:57
From: "Apress" <newsletters@???>
To: adam.trickett@???

*** Apress August 2010 Newsletter ***

This month we have a solid lineup of titles that will take you to
the cutting edge of web development and design. Foundation Flash
CS5 offers both a complete tutorial for those new to Flash and a
quick way to get up-to-speed with the latest features offered in
CS5. If .NET is your platform of choice, Beginning Silverlight 4
in C# introduces you to the new Silverlight release—follow it up
with the second edition of Silverlight Recipes, and you’ll be on
the fast track to developing rich, interactive web sites and
applications. We also have the perfect guide for developers
looking to transfer their iPhone skills to the big screen.
Beginning iPad Development for iPhone Developers moves through
the iPad SDK with the same clarity and humor that made the
bestselling Beginning iPhone 3 Development a success.

***

Take your iPhone dev skills to the big screen

Beginning iPad Development for iPhone Developers
by Jack Nutting, Dave Wooldridge, David Mark
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://apress.com/book/view/1430230215

Authors Jack Nutting, Dave Wooldridge, and Dave Mark come
together to form an all-star team that will help you leverage
your iPhone skills as you enter the world of iPad development.
Using the same proven approach that made Beginning iPhone 3
Development a bestseller, this is the go-to guide for creating
iPad applications.

***

Create rich, interactive web site and applications

Silverlight Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, Second Edition
by Jit Ghosh, Rob Cameron
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://apress.com/book/view/1430230339

Beginning Silverlight 4 in C#
by Robert Lair
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://apress.com/book/view/1430229888

***

Latest Books

    * Beginning Digital Image Processing: Using Free Tools for
      Photographers

    * Enterprise Mac Managed Preferences

    * Beginning iPad Development for iPhone Developers: Mastering
      the iPad SDK

    * Silverlight Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, Second
      Edition

    * Beginning Google Blogger

Forthcoming Books

    * BlackBerry Curve Made Simple: For the BlackBerry Curve 8500
      Series

    * Spring Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach, Second Edition

    * Beginning Java EE 6 with GlassFish 3, Second Edition

    * Beginning Microsoft Word 2010

    * BlackBerry Storm 2 Made Simple: For BlackBerry Storm &
      Storm 2

Best-sellers

1. Pro C# 2010 and the .NET 4 Platform, Fifth Edition

2. iPhone and iPad Apps for Absolute Beginners

3. Pro Android 2

4. Pro ASP.NET MVC 2 Framework, Second Edition

   5. SharePoint 2010 User’s Guide: Learning Microsoft’s Business
      Collaboration Platform

***

Conference News and Notes:

OSCON July 19th-23rd

Over 3,000 developers and members of the Open Source community
gathered in Portland, Oregon from July 19th-23rd for the twelfth
annual O’Reilly OSCON Open Source Convention. Apress was a proud
exhibitor and OSCON Passport Program participant. This year OSCON
offered hundreds of sessions, tutorials, activities, and events
covering open source languages and platforms such as Python, Java
, Ruby, Perl, Hadoop, PHP and JavaScript. Arduino and Android
dominated the myriads of conversations, and other buzz-worthy
topics included building scalable cloud applications, open source
alternatives to the social networking heavyweights like Facebook,
and using NoSQL databases. If you missed OSCON this year, you can
catch the keynotes and highlights on YouTube and event photos
available on Flickr.

***

Get up-to-speed with the latest features offered in CS5

Foundation Flash CS5 For Designers
by Tiago Dias, Tom Green.
eBook Now Available, Print Now Available
http://apress.com/book/view/1430229942

***

Apress User Group Spotlight

Project Phoenix

Arnie Rowland, SQL Server expert, Microsoft MVP and President of
Oregon SQL - Developers Professional Association, started a
contest last month appropriately named ‘Project Phoenix’ in the
hopes of helping unemployed or underemployed developers rise from
the ashes of their disrupted careers. The contest’s aim is to
give developers a chance to sharpen their skills by inviting
qualified participants to propose a software project for a
non-profit agency, school, or church. The idea is to help improve
one’s skills while giving back to their local community. ‘Project
Phoenix’ has been so well received by the Microsoft community and
sponsors that Arnie has been able to award a package of software,
tools, training, and books each week for the rest of the year to
any eligible developer that takes on a non-profit project.

Project Criteria:

    * Client is a USA IRS 503(c)3 non-profit, school, or church,
      OR a Canadian CRA registered charity

    * Uses any combination of .NET 4.0, Windows Server 2008, SQL
      Server 2008, or Windows Phone 7

    * Solves a problem or satisfies a need for the client

Prizes include:

    * Microsoft: MDSN Ultimate subscription

    * Pluralsight: three (3) month Standard subscription to
      On-Demand!™ .NET Training Library

    * Apress: three (3) books of the winner's choice

    * And much more

For contest details and more on Project Phoenix, check out
Arnie’s website.

Developers can submit proposals here.

Non-profits can submit projects here.

***

Apress User Group Program

Apress is committed to supporting the tech community. With over
1,700 registered User Groups on apress.com, there are meetings
happening every week all over the world. Why not find a user
group near you? If you run a User Group, sign up your User Group
to take advantage of our exclusive Apress User Group benefits.

For more information about the Apress User Group Program, please
visit our User Group pages.

***

Apress on Twitter

We tweet about what we're up to, what our authors are up to, and
about anything else that takes our fancy. We even offer exclusive
deals to our followers, so what are you waiting for? Come find us
at @apress.

Want to know what’s hot off the presses? We also have a new
secondary account that'll keep you informed of our books as they
publish, backing up our regular 'New Titles' RSS feed. Follow
@ApressBooks for these updates.

***

We do not send unsolicited newsletters. You received this because
you've previously bought eBooks from us, or signed up for our
newsletter at www.apress.com or at a tradeshow. To be removed
from the Apress newsletter mailing list, you can unsubscribe
here: http://app.streamsend.com/private//6IK/
4qYC8Mw/unsubscribe/

For all other requests, please do not reply to this e-mail.
Instead, e-mail info@??? with any questions and we'll get
back to you.

Apress, 233 Spring Street, New York, NY 10013, USA

Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Blessed are the pessimists, for they test their backups.
    -- anon