Re: [Hampshire] dhcp3-relay and Windows 2003 DHCP server wit…

Author: Jan Henkins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] dhcp3-relay and Windows 2003 DHCP server with Windows XP clients
Hello Tony,

On Fri, July 23, 2010 09:15, Tony Whitmore wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use dhcp3-relay in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS to relay requests from
> client system to our Windows 2003 DHCP Server. (Yes, I know, I know.) The
> relay works fine for Linux clients, but not so well for our Windows XP
> clients. Unfortunately there are many more of the latter than the former!
>
> The relay passes the request to the DHCP server, which registers it,
> assigns an IP address and passes the response back to the relay. The relay
> in turn passes the response back to the client. At this point the Linux
> clients accept the IP address and all is good. The Windows XP clients seem
> to ignore the response and just send out more requests.
>
> I have tried adding the "-a" option to the DHCP relay configuration, which
> is supposed to pass more information between the client and the DHCP
> server, but this didn't make any difference. Has anyone come across
> anything like this? If so, how did you fix it? ;)

This might not be the answer to your problem, but the symptom sounds
similar to one I bumped up against in the past. Two things:

* Ensure that your DHCP server itself has the "WINS/NBT Node Type" setting
to 0x8 (H-node, which means hybrid. This is available as option 046 under
Scope Options for your active scope).
* Somehow ensure (and this is where I'm uncertain how you might do it)
that this option gets relayed by your DHCP relay setup.

Please seriously consider using dhcpd instead. OK, integrating it with
active directory and DNS can be a bit of a bind (pun intended), but in the
end you reap the benefits. Windows DHCP is stunted by comparison, and
contrary to what M$ afficionados say, not really all that well documented.
DHCPD on the other hand... :-)

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins