Re: [Hampshire] Printers

Author: Paul Stimpson
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Printers
Hi,

I've used the HP Laserjet 4300n (and 4200n - the same but a little slower) and they are excellent devices. They are fairly compact and modular so you buy the bits you need (duplexer, paper trays, stapler/stacker, trolley...) If you can find one there are preloaded ones where the model numbers end "dn" (Duplex + Network) and "dtn" (Duplex + jumbo 2nd paper Tray + Network) that come with the options pre-installed.

The base printer with just network and no options was originally over £1000 and they do something like 18000 pages from a cartridge (chipped). They are rated at something like 30,000 pages a month and you can pick ex-lease ones up (that have only done something like 25,000 pages total and have a half full cartridge) on eBay for a couple of hundred pounds. I've seen the duplexer and the jumbo 2nd paper tray on eBay too. If you find one without the "n" (no network) then the Jetdirect Ethernet module is also available as a self-install option on eBay.

I've not had one to try yet but the Samsung colour lasers seem to have duplex and Ethernet and seem to be penguin-friendly.

Cheers,
Paul.