Re: [Hampshire] On-line Banking (Not entirely O.T.)

Author: Daniel Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] On-line Banking (Not entirely O.T.)
On 15/07/10 14:08, Vic wrote:
>>> perl -e 'print reverse <>' <input.csv >output.csv
>>
>> Yes, but because Python is more legible I stand a better chance of
>> understanding what it does when I come to re-read it. Not like that
>> gibberish.
>
> That's just prejudice.

Well, postjudice. I have personal experience of trying to learn and
program with Perl.

> But Perl's debugging tools do seem significantly more usable, from
> what I've found so far.

I don't need debugging tools. I just avoid writing code with bugs in.
That feature comes as standard in Python.

> Describing that piece of perl above as "gibberish" is just laziness; its
> meaning is trivially understood.

Actually, I have no idea what the semantics of <> are. I don't even know
what you call that syntactically - anonymous filehandle constant? Can
you point me to documentation about the semantics of that thing?