Re: [Hampshire] Open source network backup with de-dupe.

Author: Keith Edmunds
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Open source network backup with de-dupe.
Hi James

You're being unrealistic.

> The documentation gives no explanation of what WAN bandwidth it will use.

How can it? It depends on how much data you backup; more accurately, it
depends on how much data has changed since the last backup.

> It reads as if it gets all the data into a central location, and then
> de-dupes it.

It does.

> This is not good for WAN bandwidth at all. If the same file is on two
> computers, I only want one computer to send the file once.

Explain how the server can ascertain that the data is the same on both
clients without getting a full copy of the data. Note: not ascertain that
it may be the same, but that it IS the same.

> Also, it sounds very much like a Linux only solution

In your original post you made no mention of the requirement that it would
back up Windows systems, and given that this is a Linux ML, it's not
unreasonable to discuss Linux solutions. However, BackupPC does backup
Windows systems, although it doesn't use VSS.

> So, in summary, it is not good enough to replace the system currently
> at my customer's that cost over £100000 !
> That product uses RPC to set off a VSS on the remote windows machine
> so that backups work better.
> It also handles WAN bandwidth better.

So keep using it then. Those who want to use Windows servers usually
understand that such a decision will be costly; those who don't understand
that usually find it out quite quickly.