Re: [Hampshire] Linux RAM usages

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux RAM usages

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56c43100.hantslug.org.uk.2042': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Jul 13 19:36:26 2010 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 07:30:04PM +0100, James wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 19:01 +0100, Hugo Mills wrote:
> >    Not that I'm aware of. Linux uses all the spare RAM for cache,
> > because having spare RAM unused would be a waste. If a process
> > actually needs more RAM (because it's starting up and allocating
> > memory, say), then some files are evicted from cache to make space.

> It uses it *very* aggressively, though, and seemingly with no way to
> restrain it. To the point where copying a few large (order gigabytes)
> files will cause the cache to grow to over 3/4 physical, and push out a
> lot of stuff allocated to applications I'm using (including X). And then
> interactivity just plummets. (I seem to remember a certain scientific
> app that uses large amounts of RAM getting swapped out, too.)

I've never seen this happen -- even when copying large files
around. I would suggest that you have something else going on.

Hugo.

      --- Your problem is that you've got too much taste to be ---
                            a web developer.