Re: [Hampshire] ext4 and dd disc cloning

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ext4 and dd disc cloning
On 10/07/10 14:00, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> On 10 July 2010 11:39, John Cooper <lug@???> wrote:
>>
>> b = (int)((L-S)*512/B)
>> where:
>> b = File System block number
>> B = File system block size in bytes
>> L = LBA of bad sector
>> S = Starting sector of partition as shown by fdisk -lu
>> and (int) denotes the integer part.
>>
>> L=572267884, S=401625 B=4096
>> b=(572267884-401625)x512/4096=71483282
>>

>> So will repeat process to fix 572267884.
>>

> Do not repeat the process. It just causes more damage.
> The HD has failed.
> Use "ddrescue" instead of "dd" to backup as much as you can, if you
> don't already have a backup.
> All ddrescue does is ignore the errors and copies the rest.
>
> That hard drive is very ill. It should be doing automatic reallocation
> of sectors but it is doing nothing.
> In smartctl -a, what model of HD is it. It has a really bad BIOS.
>
> Kind Regards
>
> James
>
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

It must be less than 5 years old and could be less than a year as I
bought 2 more. The procedure doesn't appear to have fixed it so as you
say, it is very ill. I'll move to a new disc now.

Model Family:     Western Digital Caviar Blue Serial ATA family
Device Model:     WDC WD5000AAKS-00V1A0
Serial Number:    WD-WCAWF2693459
Firmware Version: 05.01D05
User Capacity:    500,107,862,016 bytes
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   8

Thanks, John.
Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk