[Hampshire] LACNIC, ARIN, APNIC hackers hitting a "relevant …

Author: Jacqui Caren-home
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] LACNIC, ARIN, APNIC hackers hitting a "relevant to uk only" web site
A dog rescue forum has had a number of password hack attempts in the past few weeks
and given threats by another dog rescue and an ex admin, they are very very nervous.

They have logged the IP addresses and all of them I have so fars seen appear to
originate from outside of europe - FWICS there is a spate of brute force hack attacks
doing the rounds of web servers at the mo :-(

As the dog rescue is purely UK/ireland/greece based there is no reason for anyone
outside or RIPENCC needing access so I was considering suggesting IP blocking
the IP ranges for LACNIC,ARIN and APNIC (where almost all of the hack attempts
originate).

My one worry is that some of the UK ISPs may rely upon http proxies "over there"
but I suspect this would cause a stink regarding iplayer etc so no longer done?

The big question is - is there a definitive list of IP ranges I can give to the
site admin to block?

I have already added 218/8 and 219/8 :-)

Jacqui