Re: [Hampshire] Lenovo laptops

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Lenovo laptops

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5785a100.hantslug.org.uk.11287': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Jun 23 12:47:33 2010 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi,

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:29:40PM +0100, Leo wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting a Lenovo ThinkPad SL510. General googling
> indicates linux should work ok with it. However; I was wondering if
> anyone had any good or bad experience with Lenovo laptops and linux?

I've had two Thinkpads so far. I don't remember the details of the
first, but the current one is an R61 with a nvidia graphics card.

The Intel wifi stopped working reliably under Ubuntu Jaunty and only
became usable again with Lucid. This was a known problem with the
Intel drivers.

Hibernate has never worked, though suspend to RAM does. I suspect it
is down to the binary nvidia drivers. I haven't yet tried the open
source nouveau drivers.

I would/will buy Lenovo again, though probably not with a nvidia
graphics card since I don't think I need it and it only causes
problems.

Cheers,
Andy