Re: [Hampshire] FW: Secure Archives

Author: john
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FW: Secure Archives
Hi

What you want to do is not sensible.

The best thing to do is compress first and then encrypt.

If you do both at the same time you would end up with a larger data file.

Better still copy your data files into one large file. This will give you
smaller file sizes as it will remove the space taken up by slack space. It
will also give compression programs a larger set of common data to compress.

There are programs which copy your data files into one big file. You then
compress this one large file. After compression you then encrypt it. This
will give you the smallest possible data file.

Some of these programs are Free Windows programs but they do work in wine.

John Eayrs