Re: [Hampshire] Laptop Hardrive

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Laptop Hardrive
On 19 May 2010 11:46, Vic <lug@???> wrote:

>> reallocations appear in the Linux syslog
>
> Really? I've only ever seen summary information from smartmontools there.
> I've also been unable to find anything in Google to support the idea that
> actual reallocation map data goes into syslog; perhaps you'd post some
> examples so we can all learn about it.
>
>From the kernel sources:

constants.c:    {0x0C01, "Write error - recovered with auto reallocation"},
constants.c:    {0x0C02, "Write error - auto reallocation failed"},
constants.c:    {0x1104, "Unrecovered read error - auto reallocate failed"},
constants.c:    {0x1406, "Record not found - data auto-reallocated"},
constants.c:    {0x1603, "Data sync error - data auto-reallocated"},
constants.c:    {0x1706, "Recovered data without ECC - data auto-reallocated"},
constants.c:    {0x1802, "Recovered data - data auto-reallocated"},

Any of the above cases will produce a syslog entry, the logical sector
number will also be included close by in the log.

>> a reallocation can happen if a sector fails to be
>> readable any more although it is true that the drive tries to spot
>> sectors that are about to turn bad, and reallocate them before they
>> fail.
>
> That leaves you with all your files intact.

No it does not in all cases. In some cases the data is recovered, in
other cases it is not.

>> I do not remember the person who stated it, but it was made by someone
>> who was trustworthy.
>
> That renders it "bloke in a pub told me"-reliable.

Well maybe, but the other people also listening were Linus Torvalds
and Andrew Morton together with about 5 other Linux kernel developers.
I therefore trusted the statement.