Re: [Hampshire] Laptop Hardrive

Author: trotter
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Laptop Hardrive
At 20:12 18/05/2010, you wrote:

> > My laptop hardrive is faulty, does anyone have a spare/old one I can
> > have/buy
>
>Second-hand HDDs are usually a bad investment - they have a limited
>lifespan, so if someone else has taken one out of service, it's probably
>used up quite a bit of that life...
>
>A brand-spankers SATA laptop drive can be had for about £30. I simply
>wouldn't bother looking for a used drive.
>
>Vic.
>
>p.s. I've replaced two SATA HDDs this last weekend. Neither was over 2
>years old. I have a suspicion they don't last like they used to...

In the desktop arena with 3.5" the experience of my last 2 drives would
bare out your thinking. The western digital blue 640GB has 2 error sectors
reallocated as soon as i installed it. The 1.5TB Seagate has had 3 sectors
go bad after a few weeks.

Its looking like higher capacity drives are more error prone at the mo on
my very limited sample. All the previous Samsung 750GB, 500, 400 have
no sector reallocation after up to 2 years.

Martin N

Running MorphOS v2.4 on Mac Mini, Moderator of
MiniDisc,amithlonopen,bwfc Yahoogroups