Re: [Hampshire] problems with accessing startx.co.uk

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] problems with accessing startx.co.uk
> On Wed, 5 May 2010 11:22:00 +0000
> Andy Smith <andy@???> wrote:
>
> > Hi John,
> >
> > On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 10:50:16AM +0100, john lewis wrote:
> > > startx.co.uk ("John Lewis Trading As:") is delegated to two
> > > nameservers, however both delegated nameservers are missing in the
> > > zone
> >
> > I like using Squishywishywoo for checking out DNS issues:
> >
> > http://www.squish.net/dnscheck/
> >
> > Put in startx.co.uk, A record and go for it. After some time you'll
> > usually see the culprits down the bottom in red.
>
> OK, I got
>
> 50.0% of queries will end in failure at 213.129.93.211
> (hades.myth.co.uk) - returned REFUSED code
>
> 50.0% of queries will end in failure at 87.83.158.197
> (persephone.myth.co.uk) - returned REFUSED code
>
> I have been unable to ping those two IP addresses all morning, will
> have to try ringing Mark I think.

Duh! Mark is out of the office so am a bit stuck ;-(

Is there any way I can get startx.co.uk recognised by some other
nameserver(s)?

I don't understand the DNS system at all other than a need to put some
nameservers into /etc/resolv.conf (or equivalent) and didn't realise
until this problem came up that startx.co.uk needed the *.myth.co.uk
servers

It cannot all be wrong at Mark's end as I can access his 'Joker's
Masquerade' site easily enough

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server