Re: [Hampshire] Basic drawing programme to design roof exten…

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Basic drawing programme to design roof extension
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 08:12:22 +0100
john lewis <johnlewis@???> wrote:

> QCad looks simple enough to use judging by a very brief look at the
> book preview. Many commercial Cad packages are complex and have a long
> learning curve.
>
> The professional version only costs 22 euros so if the free version is
> missing anything essential it won't break the bank to pay for it

One thing that is missing from the interface for the free version is
the 'command line'.

I used the command line all the time when using GenericCad and found it
easier than try to use a mouse when drawing lines of specific length
for example.

You can also create 'blocks' which can be saved and positioned anywhere
in a drawing, I used this facility when doing office layouts by
creating blocks (entities) for each item of furniture or grouping of
desks so could play around with layouts on paper very easily.

QCad also has layers so you can create one layer for the brick walls,
another for the timbers of the roof and yet others for electrical
circuits, plumbing and so on and make the layers visible or not as
required.

Makes me almost wish I had a project to design!

--
John Lewis
using Debian sid