Re: [Hampshire] Whatever happened to programming? (O.T?)

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Whatever happened to programming? (O.T?)
Developers: <http://linux.slashdot.org/tag/developers> Simpler "Hello
World" Demonstrated In
C<http://developers.slashdot.org/story/10/03/16/2216258/Simpler-Hello-World-Demonstrated-In-C>
on
Tuesday March 16, @10:03PM
Posted by kdawson <http://twitter.com/kdawson> on Tuesday March 16, @10:03PM
from the non-obfuscated dept.
programming <http://linux.slashdot.org/index2.pl?fhfilter=programming>
An anonymous reader writes *"Wondering where all that bloat comes from,
causing even the classic 'Hello
world<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello_world_program>'
to weigh in at 11 KB? An MIT programmer decided to make a Linux C program so
simple <http://blog.ksplice.com/2010/03/libc-free-world/>, she could explain
every byte of the assembly. She found that gcc was including libc even when
you don't ask for it. The blog shows how to compile a much simpler 'Hello
world,' using no libraries at
all<http://www.muppetlabs.com/%7Ebreadbox/software/tiny/teensy.html>.
This takes me back to the days of programming bare-metal on DOS!"*

Not wishing to be controversial (he lied) my recent tinkering with Version 7
have led me back to K&R C (which Hugo once informed me should be a capital
offence.) Worse, I've been playing with M$ C for DOS, which will surely
ensure that I am destined for the fires of hell for all eternity. (Possibly
mitigated by the fact that M$ bought it in from elsewhere....)

I was also taught that long-lived code tends to become encrusted with
barnacles, which have to be scraped off from time to time.

My point? Is there anyone else out there who yearns for the simplicity of
those days? Or am I alone in wallowing in nostalg....No! Rather making a
plea for a return to the principle of simplicity, which I was taught was the
essence of good programming.