Re: [Hampshire] wierd group issue

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] wierd group issue
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 01:43:33 +0000 (+0000), Michael-John Turner wrote:
> How are you calling lurker?

/etc/aliases contains:
lurker-hants: |/usr/bin/lurker-index -l hampshire -m

(well it contains a wrapper ATM so that I can debug it :-))

> I've not used Exim in nigh on ten years, but a cursory glance at the filter
> documentation suggests that by default it doesn't honour secondary group
> membership when executing filters:
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/filter.html (search for
> "secondary"). Could this be the problem?

Ooh, nice spot. That eventually resulted in:
http://www.exim.org/lurker/message/20070519.160339.5e5227a2.ja.html

So it looks like if exim is run as root, then initgroups() is run
which sets up secondary groups, otherwise it's not and they aren't.

Many thanks :-) I've learnt a new syscall today,

Adrian
--
bitcube.co.uk - Expert Linux infrastructure consultancy
Puppet, Debian, Red Hat, Ubuntu, CentOS