Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Smartphones with keyboards

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Smartphones with keyboards
On 17/03/2010 12:42, Andy Random wrote:
> Looking at the current phone market my next phone will probably be
> Android, though at the moment I'm on the fence about when I'll upgrade.
>
> So a quick question about gmail integration with Android... How well does
> it deal with multiple gmail accounts?
>
> I have 4 that I use regularly and while there is an ok app for my current
> (Nokia/S60v5) phone to read gmail, it doesn't support multiple accounts
> that well and it's a pain to switch between them.
>
> I know the early version of Android had similar issues, have they improved
> that in the later versions?
>
>     Andy

As far as I can tell it isn't possible to use the google mail app for
more than one account (at least on Android 1.5 which my phone currently
runs).

You can however set up as many accounts as you like in the standard
email app. These will be checked periodically and it pops up an alert
(with optional sound and vibrate) when there is a new email. For
multiple accounts you get an alert saying new email in "n" accounts, and
it takes you to the account list page with each account showing the
unread count.

This means you will need to set up IMAP access to your gmail accounts,
and use them as a standard account.

It works well (I've just tested), only required my gmail address and
password and it was automatically set up. But the integration isn't as
nice as using the dedicated gmail app. (usual imap access style). In the
email app you simply get a list of all the accounts, selecting an
account then allows you to view the email folders etc.

I've got the Samsung Galaxy Portal and I am really pleased with it, they
have just announced the Android 2.1 offical update which will appear in
the next few months, not 100% if I will upgrade yet, going to wait and
see what the general opinion is first.