[Hampshire] [Solved] Re: Curious Xsane Issue

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [Solved] Re: Curious Xsane Issue
Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have several machines here running Ubuntu in various guises - 64-bit,
> 32-bit and UNR. Most connect to the network over wifi, and my desktop
> connects to the network via ethernet.
>
> The scanner is part of an HP C4580 wireless printer, and worked with all
> of the machines up until recently.
>
> The other night I tried to connect with my machine and got the message
> 'no devices available' after the scanning process had completed. I tried
> all of the other machines and out of 6 only 2 return this error message.
>
> I've tried powering the scanner off and on, I've tried on different
> days, and so far these 2 machines seem to be consistently broken as far
> as Xsane is concerned, but not with regard to printing.
>
> Anyone encountered this before or got any suggestions?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sean

In the absence of any suggestions I reverted to what I do best (or
worst, depending on your point of view!) and started tinkering.

So, having deleted my sane profile and reinstalled all of the xsane
stuff without any whiff of success, I finally got the full, heady aroma
by deleting the printer and reinstalling it in the 'System,
Administration, Printing' dialogue.

I've just tried it on the other machine that couldn't see the scanner,
this time having first tried and failed to connect beforehand, and the
same method worked there too. It would therefore seem that this issue
was resolved with this approach rather than having 'corrected itself'!

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk