Re: [Hampshire] Whatever happened to programming?

Author: Rob Malpass
To: 'Hampshire LUG Discussion List'
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Whatever happened to programming?

I tend to agree with most if not all of this. I won't say programming's no
fun any more but it's now a test of memory (the programmer's as much as the
machine's!) and who's got the best reference.

I have undertaken 2 Computer Science degrees in my life. In 1992, the
language of choice was Modula-2 and I find it a bit of a shame this died out
(due to OO) because it was a lovely language to learn and was well suited to
UNIX I thought at the time (Solaris & OpenWindows).

The course I'm currently doing is teaching me Java for no reason other than
(I suspect) the OU is impoverished and wants to teach something free.
Designing user interfaces in Java (without designing the forms themselves)
is a real pain and uses more libraries than I care to remember. The advice
is that nobody should sit down and attempt a Java program without the API
documentation. Now I certainly appreciate that part of the fun of
programming is (or can be I should say) writing some skeleton code, seeing
if it works, then fixing bugs etc - in short - I've often found that a bit
of bad programming teaches you a lot about the problem. Trouble is - over
the years - the R&D gained by allowing programmers to write a "first draft"
badly has gone out of the window and now lots of systems are so prescribed
that they do what they do and to modify them slightly takes a complete
rewrite - whether or not that's a good thing or a bad thing I dunno.

One of the most stimulating programming projects I've had in recent years
was an OU course which taught data structures and most importantly
algorithms. I enjoyed it thoroughly because I considered it more "proper
programming" and the techniques I learned there would be useful no matter
what language I was writing in. Most importantly though - the OU gave a
piffling little "programmer's workbench" environment for the teaching of
just these algorithms and objects like stacks, trees etc. A shame, I
thought, that they didn't consider looking around for an open source
Modula-2 compiler. I believe there was one once but the project died -
sadly as did the language.

OK - so I guess I'm a grumpy old man too!

Cheers
Rob